As you might have noticed, I’m celebrating a little here on DSB today/this week/this month. (Can’t decide how long I want to keep the banner in celebration-mode.) It’s officially been two years since I started up an account on WordPress and started yammering on about my impressions of the latest films I’ve been checking out. Since that day, my moviegoing frequency has, well, to put this in Ron Burgundy terms — it jumped up a notch! Things really got out of hand, fast! hahahah
I can’t believe how the time has flown. It seems at one point I was on this page only posting the occasional review every two weeks or so, maybe even once per month. As I’ve gotten more addicted to the critiquing process, I’ve upped the ante on the frequency of posting, and I think it’s paying off slowly but surely. I’ve gained a larger audience each month and each year, and this only gives me more motivation to continue on. I’d like to thank each and every one of you for sticking with me and reading what I’m putting out there; I’m having a lot of fun doing this and that’s 90% due to the readership.
As we continue, I’d definitely like to see further improvements to this site. I have a few plans in the works to improve certain graphic elements on this page, and I don’t see much of a reason to really slow down on the posting schedule. I also hope the new weekly/monthly/random threads I’ve started up will continue to attract new readers and shed different light on various aspects of films both new and old.
Of course, there are plenty of areas I need to get better at as well. Community-building, that’s one thing. Accessibility and making my blog more visible. Continuing to establish identity. Big picture stuff like that, sometimes that can be an intimidating thought, but it’s important to keep in mind if you are in something for the long-haul.
And I am most definitely in this for the long-haul. I’d love to see a ten-year anniversary post happen!!!
I’d just like to note a few memorable events of this month in 2011, events aside from my introduction into the world of film blogging:
- my first review, Bad Teacher, debuted on July 4. AMERICAAAAAA!!!! F**K YEAH!!!
- my very first follower, Dan O’Neill — that dude behind the very productive and personable Dan The Man’s Movie Reviews — starts following DSB. Soon after, a few more class acts, such as Mark Hobin from Fast Film Reviews, Tyson Carter over at Head-in-a-Vice, and many more. The rest is history.
- Horrible Bosses, starring Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Colin Farrell is released July 8. All I remember from this film is that Jennifer Aniston’s still got it….the smoking good looks, that is…and that Kevin Spacey still remains as one of the better actors in the game playing the part of the dickish pig of a boss…
- Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is released on July 15; earns $483 million worldwide, becoming the fourth-highest grossing film of all time. Of course, it didn’t get THIS GUY’s ticket purchase…. 🙂
- July 22 sees the release of the first Captain America film: The First Avenger. I skipped this for whatever reason. I do like Captain America. But not as much as I like Iron Man. And I think Tony Stark would agree.
- Crazy, Stupid, Love is released on July 29 to surprisingly positive reviews. I don’t think I reviewed this film, although I loved it. Clearly I wasn’t posting as often back then….maybe this will make an appearance in a Bite-Sized review or Throwback post or something. This was a nice surprise of a film, and nowhere NEAR as chick-flick-y as I thought it was going to be…
- my first post on the site was on this day exactly 2 years ago (Welcome!)
I guess I shall wrap this post up before I get too teary-eyed and nostalgic. Again, thanks for reading. And onward we go!
All content originally published and the reproduction elsewhere without the expressed written consent of the blog owner is prohibited.
Photo credits: (c) thomasj